Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to the Garden

It feels like I've been neglecting the garden most of the summer since I've been pregnant and we've been so busy. Now my seasonal allergies are wreaking havoc, so it takes some nerve for me to go out and spend any amount of time in the backyard (we have a beautiful crop of ragweed between our garden and the cornfield, though). But lo and behold, we're actually getting a decent harvest of tomatoes and peppers. It's been a dry summer, so I've had to make a conscious effort to water them a couple times a week so they don't just wilt and die. It seems like they're turning red faster than last year and I have to wonder if less water is actually doing them good (or I'm just distracted with too many other things and not checking them every single day for what seems like an eternity).

Today I threw in some new seeds in hopes of potentially reaping a fall crop this year, but I'm not holding my breath since we got our first frost in only the 3rd week of September last year. I planted more carrots, beets, green onions and parsley. I'd love to plant some sweet potatoes, but know nothing about it and haven't really invested any time in finding out. Maybe someday. Now to deal with all the veggies sitting on my kitchen counter....

No comments: